Are you planning a trip to Nusa Penida? This beautiful island, located southeast of Bali, is a true paradise for nature lovers. From stunning beaches to epic cliffs, Nusa Penida, Bali is a must-visit destination for any adventure-seeking traveller or simply for a relaxing retreat.
But with so much to see and do, it’s essential to have the right accommodation in Nusa Penida to rest and recharge before your next day of exploration.
So where to stay in Nusa Penida Island is the ultimate question!
Short on time? Here are my TOP PICKS for the best places to stay in Nusa Penida
|NAME||WHY CHOOSE THIS HOTEL||BUDGET|
|NORTH WEST: Toya Pakeh (Harbour)|
|Adiwana Warnakali||Views, amenities, location||Luxury|
|MAUA||Views, amenities, private pools||Luxury|
|Penida Bamboo Green Villas||Eco-friendly bamboo villas, infinity pool, instaworthy||Midrange|
|Nuansa Penida Hostel||Premium amenities for a hostel||Budget|
|Autentik Glamping||Unique glamping, adults-only, very instaworthy,||Unique Midrange|
|NORTH EAST: Batoemoenggoel|
|Kompyang Cottage||Unique design, amenities, location to beach||Luxury|
|Daphila Cottage||Ocean views, amenities||Midrange|
|La Roja Bungalows||Boho-chic aesthetic, instaworthy, pool||Budget|
|WEST: Crystal Bay|
|Atalaya Villas||Ocean views, private pools, boho aesthetic, amenities||Luxury|
|Mahaloka Valley||Natural, secluded, newly built, location||Midrange|
|Bintang Bungalows||Bamboo bungalow, pool, location||Budget|
|SOUTH EAST: Atuh Beach and Diamond Beach|
|Villa Argia||Santorini-style, ocean views, amenities||Luxury|
|The Raja Lima Resort||Boho-chic, Instagram-worthy, amenities, views||Luxury|
|Atuh Forest Cottage||Rustic local material, ocean and jungle views, location||Budget|
|Rumah Pohon Treehouse||Most rustic but unique accommodation – highly coveted Instagram attraction in Nusa Penida||Unique|
In this blog post, I’ve reviewed the best Nusa Penida hotels and found the best places to stay in Nusa Penida, specifically focusing on which area to stay in Nusa Penida:
- North West (Toya Pakeh): A bustling hub buzzing with life, Toya Pakeh is perfect for the social butterflies who love being at the heart of the action and prefer a wide array of accommodation options.
- North East (Batoemoenggoel): Embodying beach vibes and a laid-back lifestyle, Batoemoenggoel is a dreamy Nusa Penida resort town best suited for those seeking a rejuvenating escape amidst serene surroundings.
- West (Crystal Bay): Crystal Bay, with its stunning sunsets and crystal-clear waters, beckons all nature lovers and sunset chasers for an unforgettable tropical experience. Considered the best nusa penida beach for sunsets
- South East (Diamond Beach and Atuh Beach): The East, home to the mesmerizing Diamond Beach and Atuh Beach, is a paradise for explorers and beach bums who crave untouched beauty and unique coastal landscapes. Considered the best Nusa Penida beaches on the island
I’ve handpicked luxury, mid-range, and budget hotels, Nusa Penida accommodation options are plentiful so I’ve listed their unique selling points. So let’s dive in and find your perfect Nusa Penida hotel, a home away from home!
These are based on my own and other traveller reviews, Agoda, Booking.com and Tripadvisor ratings, as well as the accommodation’s own website and social media pages.
North West (Toya Pakeh)
Discover the Vibrant Charm of Western Nusa Penida!
Ah, Western Nusa Penida – it’s like stepping into a postcard! When you’re hopping off that speedboat or ferry from Bali, this is your first taste of Nusa Penida. This area is buzzing with life, colour, and a hint of that delightful island chaos we all secretly love. It’s the most developed side of the island and an absolute must-visit, especially if it’s your first time here. This is definitely one of the best places to stay on Nusa Penida.
PROs of Staying in Western Nusa Penida:
- Welcome to Toya Pakeh Harbour: Being close to Toyapakeh Harbour is super convenient for travelling on arrival and departure. It’s the heart of Nusa Penida. This place is a hive of activity and a great spot for people-watching!
- Spoilt for Choice: With the highest concentration of hotels and resorts in Nusa Penida, you’re like a kid in a candy store. From luxury resorts to budget-friendly guesthouses, there’s something for every traveller.
- Foodie’s Paradise: The West has the most infrastructure, which means one thing – food, glorious food! You’ll find a plethora of restaurants serving everything from traditional Indonesian dishes to international cuisine.
- Island Hopping: Fancy a quick trip to neighbouring islands Nusa Lembongan and Nusa Ceningan? The West is your gateway to these stunning locales, making it easy to explore more of Indonesia’s gems.
CONs of Staying in Western Nusa Penida:
- All That Glitters Isn’t Quiet: Yes, being close to the bustling harbour means you’re in the thick of things. But if you’re a traveller seeking a secluded, serene island ambience, you might need to venture further afield.
Remember, every nook and cranny of Nusa Penida has its own unique charm. Whether you choose the vibrant West or the tranquil East, this island paradise will steal your heart. So pack your bags and get ready for an unforgettable Indonesian adventure!
Instagram-worthy A day trip to Nusa Penida – Fun Day trip from Bali
Luxury Nusa Penida Hotels: NORTHWEST (TOYA PAKEH)
Perched on a clifftop with stunning panoramic views of the ocean and neighbouring Nusa Ceningan.
Dive into the mesmerizing infinity pool, indulge in authentic Indonesian cuisine at the on-site restaurant, sip on signature cocktails at the bar, and rejuvenate your senses with traditional Balinese treatments at the relaxing spa.
Ideally situated just a short distance from popular tourist attractions like Angel’s Billabong, and Broken Beach, Nusa Penida’s Adiwana Warnakali resort is ideally suited for travellers seeking both tranquillity and adventure. Its certainly one of the best Nusa Penida hotels on the beach.
- Super close drive from Toya Pakeh Harbour
- Magnificent Infinity pool with oceanic views of Mount Agung
- Delectable Onsite Restaurant Local and international flavours
- Awesome Onsite dive centre (Dune)
- Get rejuvenated at the Tejas Spa
- Breath-taking ocean front-facing rooms
- Sip sultry sunset cocktails at the pool bar
- Close to other restaurants and amenities in the area.
Best Hotel in Nusa Penida for: A romantic stay for couples, and those looking for luxury amenities and a hassle-free stay
Would you consider this a top pick for the Nusa Penida best hotel list? Let me know in the comments
Perched atop the highest point in Nusa Penida, Semabu Hills Hotel Nusa Penida boasts unparalleled panoramic views of Toya Pakeh Bay and a tranquil ambience, making it an ideal retreat for travellers seeking relaxation amidst natural beauty. Definitely one of the best hotels Nusa Penida has to offer
- A 5-minute drive from the harbour
- Boasts the Castaway Restaurant for tantalizing local and international bites
- Refreshing infinity pool
- Garden and Ocean view rooms
- Close to Seganing waterfall
- Indulge in relaxing and spa treatments
- Optional floating breakfasts and romantic dinners can be arranged
- Breathtaking sunset views
Best Place to stay in Nusa Penida for: Couples and those looking for quiet luxury
Very high on my Nusa Penida – where to stay list is MAUA. This 5-star resort located on the hilltop of Gamat Bay Nusa Penida focuses on sustainability while offering luxury villas, a spa, dining facilities, and an experience that goes beyond your typical luxury vacation.
Stepping into one of the villas at MĀUA Nusa Penida, you’ll immediately notice these aren’t just rooms; they’re spacious havens designed with a blend of modern aesthetics and traditional Balinese elements. Definitely one of the best hotels in Nusa Penida Bali
- 25 Gorgeous modern villas with Balinese touches with private pools
- Keeps sustainability at its core
- Kowhai restaurant and Arowha outdoor pool bar for all your foodie needs
- Picture perfect pool surrounded by lush greenery and kids pool is also available
- Luxurious Spa facilities to relax and unwind
- Gym facilities for the fitness enthusiasts
- Calm and airy library and lounge area for your down or work time
Best Place to Stay in Nusa Penida for: Luxury-seeking travellers, couples and families
Mid-Range Nusa Penida Hotels
Prepare to be swept off your feet by the unique charm of Penida Bambu Green Villas, a hidden treasure in the heart of Nusa Penida. This tropical haven offers an experience like no other, blending traditional Indonesian architecture with modern comforts to create a sanctuary that feels both luxurious and homely.
Surrounded by lush greenery, this Nusa Penida villa offers a quiet and serene atmosphere. All its villas in Nusa Penida are individually designed with Balinese-style decor. I personally love the look and feel and its high on my authentic places to stay nusa penida list.
- Eco-friendly bamboo villas on stilts
- Only 10 boutique villas
- Stunning views of the ocean, surrounding islands and the infinity pool
- Bountiful breakfast served on your balcony/terrace
- Insta-worthy hammocks and bamboo swings
- Epic infinity pool with sun loungers
- Super Instagrammable
- Floating breakfasts option available for your social media feed
Best Place to Stay in Nusa Penida for: Instagrammers and eco-conscious travellers
Coco Resort Penida is a great budget option for a quiet and peaceful stay. Whether you’re planning to explore the majestic Kelingking Beach or experience the vibrant marine life of Crystal Bay Nusa Penida, you’ll find that these hotspots are just a stone’s throw away from the resort. Its multiple rooms come with either a garden, pool, or ocean view.
- 5-minute drive from Crystal Bay
- Close to Sakti village
- Authentic Lumbung style rooms – a distinctive feature of Sasak architecture and are part of Bali’s unique cultural heritage
- Surrounded by a lush tropical garden
- Refreshing swimming pool
- Coco restaurant onsite for hearty meals and quick bites
- Spa treatments are available at super reasonable rates
Best Place to Stay in Nusa Penida for: Families and groups and those looking to stay in authentic Balinese-style architecture
Budget Nusa Penida Hotels
What I love most about Nuansa Penida Hostel is its vibe. It’s laid-back yet lively, quiet yet buzzing with energy. There’s always something going on here, whether it’s a group of travellers sharing their day’s adventures over a meal, or someone strumming a guitar by the terrace.
It’s conveniently located close to some of the island’s top attractions, making it easy for guests to head out exploring Nusa Penida. This Nusa Penida hostel is clean, comfortable, and located close to the harbour.
- Convenient restaurant and bar onsite to chill
- Swimming pools with comfy bean bags and sunbeds and hammocks
- Lounge area to meet fellow travellers and share stories
- 10 minutes away from the harbour
- 4 – 8 sleeping bunks with ensuite outdoor bathroom
- Has an onsite restaurant serving breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Close to local shops nearby
Best Hostels in Nusa Penida for: Solo Travellers and backpackers, or those looking for a super relaxed communal vibe
Unique Nusa Penida Hotel
Considered the most unique place to stay, Nusa Penida’s Autentik Penida Glamping features tents and treetop huts on stilts. This gorgeous glamping Nusa Penida accommodation is an Instagrammers dream. Kitted out with all the modern amenities of any hotel, and a lovely bathroom at the back of the tent.
Autentik Nusa Penida is truly surrounded by nature and the views are truly something special. With its gorgeous bean bags and breakfast served on your terrace, this is a magical place to wake up to and definitely one of the best places to stay in Nusa Penida.
- Unique glamping tents on stilts
- Stunning tropical jungle and valley views
- Equipped with all the rustic luxuries one could need in a hotel room
- Cosy bean bag chairs on your private terrace
- Breakfast served on your balcony
- Enjoy a refreshing dip in the pool or laze on bean bag sun loungers
- Very close to Crystal Bay
Best Place to Stay in Nusa Penida for: Instagrammers, Unique Accommodation Lovers, Couples, Pair of Friends
North East (Batoemoenggoel)
Pros of Staying in Eastern Nusa Penida:
- Secluded Paradise: Eastern Nusa Penida is less crowded than West Nusa Penida. It’s the perfect place for couples seeking a romantic getaway or travellers looking for peace and solitude amidst stunning natural beauty.
- Close to East Side Attractions: The eastern side is home to some of the most breathtaking attractions such as Diamond Beach, the Tree House (Rumah Pohon) and Atuh Beach Nusa Penida. You’ll be just a stone’s throw away from these must-visit spots!
- Quality Accommodations: The resorts, hotels, cottages and bungalows on the east side provide comfortable, intimate accommodations with a rustic charm, ideal for cosying up with your loved one or unwinding after a day of exploring.
- Authentic Experience: The eastern side gives you a taste of the real Nusa Penida, with its untouched landscapes, local villages, and cultural sites. It’s a truly immersive experience that you’ll cherish forever.
Cons of Staying in Eastern Nusa Penida:
- Limited Nightlife: If you’re a party animal, the quiet, serene evenings in eastern Nusa Penida might not be your cup of tea. The nightlife here is low-key, focusing more on relaxation and connection with nature.
- Transportation Needs: The roads in Nusa Penida can be challenging, and public transportation is limited. Consider renting a scooter or hiring a driver to get around the island easily.
- Less Dining Options: While you’ll find some local warungs (small family-owned businesses) serving delicious traditional food, the options for international cuisine are fewer compared to the more touristy areas.
- Rugged Terrain: The eastern side of Nusa Penida is known for its rugged terrain. It’s incredibly beautiful but can be a bit challenging for those with mobility issues or who aren’t up for a bit of an adventure.
Remember, every travel experience is unique, and what may be a con for one person could be a pro for another. It’s all about finding the right fit for your travel style and preferences. Happy travels!
Luxury Nusa Penida Hotels
This charming Nusa Penida stay offers a unique blend of comfort, serenity, and local culture, making it an exceptional choice for travellers looking to immerse themselves in the magical allure of this island paradise. Kompyang Cottage is high on the where to stay nusa penida list!
- Locally inspired bow-shaped villas with boho chic bamboo interiors and outdoor bathroom
- Can arrange pick-up from port
- Floating breakfast or a flower bath to fulfill your Instagram fantasies
- Picturesque pool with bean bag loungers
- Walking distance to restaurants in the area
Best Place to Stay in Nusa Penida for: Couples and families with children
Ocean Terrace Suite is a symphony of style, comfort, and top-tier service, nestled amidst the breathtaking beauty of Penida Island. From the moment you step in, you’re transported into a haven of tranquility, where every detail is thoughtfully curated to ensure an unforgettable stay.
- Breathtaking oceanic views from all angles
- Super close to Atuh Beach
- Awesome onsite restaurant and bar
- Floating breakfast option for upping your social media game
- Stunning cabin room interiors with private balconies
- 2 pools with chilled vibes and fantastic sea views
- Spa facilities on site
Best Place to Stay in Nusa Penida for: Families and groups of friends
North East : Nusa Penida Mid Range Hotels
Get ready for a truly exceptional stay at Singabu Bungalows that combines comfort, authenticity, and convenience. From its charming features to its strategic location, This Nusa Penida Bungalow has everything you need to make your Nusa Penida adventure unforgettable.
This eco-friendly resort is surrounded by palm trees, offering a tropical paradise feel. You’ll love their outdoor pool and bar.
- Only 20 minutes from the harbour
- Within walking distance from local shops and warungs
- 150 m from Batununggul Rastafara Beach
- Clean and comfortable rooms with semi-outdoor bathrooms
- Pleasant pool to escape the heat
- A beautifully landscaped garden that adds an extra touch of serenity to your stay.
- Chilled bar and restaurant to fuel your hungry tummy
- Floating breakfast options for your instaworthy needs
Best Place to Stay in Nusa Penida for: Families, groups and couples seeking comfortable accommodation with no frills and a peaceful quiet atmosphere
Daphila Cottage offers budget accommodation, Nusa Penida’s hustle and bustle of everyday life sometimes needs escaping, and a tranquil experience for your next trip can be found here.
Perched on a hill amidst the serenity of nature, this newly constructed accommodation provides a peaceful and rejuvenating retreat.
- 15 minutes from the port/pier
- Only 10 cottages
- Affordable prices and considered great value for money
- Complimentary shuttle service to/from the pier/port
- Incredible views of Mount Agung from the pool
- Sensational infinity pool for lazing, cooling down and slow life
- Whimsical wood-clad huts are elegant and chic with ambient outdoor bathrooms
- Sunrise and sunset scenes are truly magical
Best Place to Stay in Nusa Penida for: Couples, families and groups